Sunday, March 22, 2009

Starving to Learn

Last Friday and Saturday I spent 30 hours without food! I had been going around for 2 or 3 weeks asking everyone and their pet rat for money!! I did this to feed kids and their families in China, India, Africa, and South America. I spent the night at the church with 15 others who participated, and we learned about what we can do to help those kids get fed. I was in the Ecauador tribe with 3 others from my church. We played a lot of fun games and learned lots of new things. I realized how much God has blessed America. Do we really ever sit down and reflect on what we have. So many times a day we look around and think, whoa they have a really sweet car they must be rich! Wow she is carrying a Donney and Burk she must have money! But we never realize that since we have a bed to sleep in, a car to drive, food and CLEAN WATER! that we are truly blessed. We watched a show called Rich out of a series called Nooma. It was amazing to learn the statics of how many people don't have a car, how many people don't have homes, how many people don't have clean water whenever they want it. I finally realized (while the hunger pains started to naw) how much I complain and whine about what I do and don't have. How so many times a day, I take things for granted. I really just needed that small 30 hours to find out what I really am blessed with. I don't ever think about how many people don't get up at 7:30 am on Sunday morning to go to church, because they can't, and I complain most of the time about how early I get up, about how I am so tired and wish I could sleep late instead of going to church. I realize that what God gave to me is a blessing. My clothes are a blessing, my food is a blessing, my water a blessing (most of the time I complain about having to drink water!), my house blessing, my church blessing, and even my breath is a blessing!! I have heard the song Count Your Blessings so many times, but have I ever took the time to realize the blessing that I truly have, have I ever heeded the words?
Count your blessings, name the one by one, count your blessings see what God has done! What little words that so often I forget, when I have a bad day, when I see someone with more than me, when I have to drink water and not soda, do I ever stop to realize that someone out there has so much less?? I guess that what I am trying to say is that I realized that God gives me blessings and that I need to take them into account and thank Him for them!
I earned 825 dollars for the 30 Hour Famine. I am able to feed 2 kids for more than a year!! $1 can feed a child for a day. If you would like to figure out more about this or donate to it just go to www.30hourfamine.org. I really appreciate all that everyone donated. Because I know that 2 kids will get to see another year of their life. This was such an amazing oppurtunity for me to realize that so little can do so much!!!

3 comments:

Clare said...

That is so amazing! I am so proud of you for working so hard. I love those old hymns, great minds must think alike because I just posted one on my blog,too. A big part of sacrifice is giving up what I have so others won't be without. You definitely did that!

Rachel said...

It's amazing the ordinary things (water, clothes, homes) we take for granted on a daily basis.

You did an awesome job raising money, and it's awe inspiring to think that two kids will have food for an entire year because you went without food for 30 hours! WAY TO GO KELS!!!

Lisa said...

Kels, You really are getting back to basics and doing what Jesus said. We are not to tell the cold and hungry be warm and well-fed, we are to feed them. I know you also helped out at the food pantry in a nearby community. My prayer is that our Lord will abundantly bless your efforts and take your loaves and fishes and use them to feel the multitude.