Friday, July 16, 2010

Abbrevations! (LOL!)

Okay, so I have been reading a lot of blogs, e-mails, texts and other assortments of things lately. I have noticed that more and more adults (and teens) are using abbrevations instead of words. (Not that I mind not having to write out "rolling on the floor laughing" with my little tiny keyboard on my phone.) But sometimes there is just no place for abbrevations. Such as when I post on my blog. I am not going to just randomly write ttfn on my blog, simply because some people may not understand that. Also when talking about organizations, like for example, I want to attend HSLDA's college Patrick Henry. Not all of you know about HSLDA, so instead I would write Homschool Legal Defense Assocation, because that is easier for everyone to understand. It may take a few minutes longer, but then no one has to leave a comment asking about HSLDA, I've already explained it. Or another example, we often follow boycotts put out by the American Family Association. Now some non-Christians, and some Christians may not know about this, so in writing the entire thing out I have easily explained saving everyone lots of time.
Basically what I am trying to say is, there is sometimes no place for abbrevations, writing the whole thing out is normally better. It looks more professional and is lots easier to understand. So please some of you who write blogs take notice of mine and please quit using so many abbrevations. I know many will be appreciative myself included.
Kelly

2 comments:

Clare said...

The general rule of thumb is that if an abbreviation (or acronym) is common then its use is acceptable (such as NASA, wouldn't want to have to write that one out every time!) or if you have already written out the complete title then you can abbreviate it in parentheses after and use it in the rest of your writing in its abbreviated form. I agree that when you are not familiar with a term certain abbreviations are confusing, soit never hurts to be safe rather than sorry! When in doubt write it out!:)

Rachel said...

ROFL!!! I think because blogs are generally informal writing, targeting a specific (family/friends) demographic, we often assume our readers know most of our abbreviations. It never hurts to write them out though, as some may be unaware.

I hate it when I'm reading a popular blog and comments are written in text-speak. Just STOP!

Good thoughts Kels. U R quite the blogger :)

TTFN! TTYL! C U at Fuge!